What’s Your Rock And Roll IQ?
The 1950’s – A Decade of Music That Changed the World
Who were these musicians?
1. Father of Rock and Roll – Chuck Berry
2. King of Rock – Elvis Presley
3. Rock and Roll Wild Man – Jerry Lee Lewis
4. Striptease Rock – Little Richard
5. First artist to have 9 singles in Hot 100 at one time – Elvis Presley
6. Known as the Big Bopper – Jape Richardson
What kind of music were they known for?
1. Texas Rockabilly – Buddy Holly
2. Chicano rhythms – Ritchie Valens
3. Drummer who played on most R&R records – Earl Palmer
4. New Orleans trumpeter – Dave Bartholomew
1. Sound engineer who visualized R&R as symbol of freedom and equality – Sam Phillips
2. Cleveland disc jockey who coined term “Rock and Roll” – Alan Freed
3. Blackballed for marrying his 14-year old cousin – Jerry Lee Lewis
4. The first artist to achieve popularity with R&R album – Bill Haley
5. Banned for life from Ed Sullivan Show – Bo Diddly
True or False? Rock and Roll was:
ALL are probably true
__ a volatile mix of post-war black culture and white spending power
__ a generational upheaval
__ an all-American, multiethnic hybrid
__ a cultural vanguard
__ the start of the Civil Rights movement
__ a musical Utopia
__ a symbol of social upheaval
__ a slang term for sex
Which of these are NOT components of R&R?
ALL are true
__ Hillbilly blues
__ R&B (Ryhthm and Blues)
__ Jump ‘n Jive
__ Country and western
__ Big Band
__ New Orleans Jazz
__ Tin Pan Alley Pop
__ Boogie Woogie
Who was NOT a prime target of R&R?
ALL were targeted by R&R.
__ baby boomers
__ poor white sharecroppers
__ black ghetto youths
__ Jewish imigrants
__ Chicano gang members
__ wealthy white kids
__ juvenile delinquents
__ returning war veterans
Which instruments symbolize Rock & Roll?
ALL but banjo
__ screaming sax
__ electric guitar
__ pounding piano
__ booming bass
__ twanging banjo
__ rhythmic drums
What happened to these rockers?
Bo Diddly – Died of heart failure in 2008, at his home in Fla.
Buddy Holly – Died in a plane crash in 195
Chuck Berry – Lived to be 90 and died of natural causes.
Elvis Presley – Died of prescription drug poisoning in 1977.
Fats Domino – Recovered from a serious hand injury, before becoming R&R legend. Lives in New Orleans.
Little Richard – Became a minister, still singing rock and roll!
Bill Haley – Wound up a bitter man, living in Mexico, then Texas, where he died.
Rock and Roll started in the 1950s, but a lot of hits followed over the next 20 years. How well do you know your Rock ‘n Roll? (We don’t include the Beatles here; they are their own unique genré.)
All I have to Do is Dream Everly Brothers
All Shook Up Elvis
Bird Dog Elvis
Blueberry Hill Fats Domino
Blue Suade Shoes Elvis
Don’t Be Cruel Elvis
Great Balls of Fire Jerry Lee Lewis
Heartbreak Hotel Elvis
Hound Dog Elvis
Jailhouse Rock Elvis
Johnny B Goode Chuck Berry
Long Tall Sally Little Richard
Mack the Knife Bobby Darin
Rock Around the Clock Bill Haley
That’s All Right Elvis
Whole Lotta Shakin Goin’ On
Gimme Some Lovin’ – Spencer Davis Group
House of the Rising Sun
In the Ghetto Elvis
It’s Now or Never Elvis
Light My Fire Doors
Louie Louie Kingsman
Love Me Tender Elvis
Mony Mony – Tommy James & the Shondells
Mr. Tambourine Man Byrds
Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag James Brown
Return to Sender Elvis
Respect Arethra Franklin
Proud Mary Creedence Clearwater Revivial
Sunshine of Your Love Cream
Boheian Rhapsody – Queen
Burning Love Elvis
Hotel California – Eagles
Love Me Tender Elvis
Maggie May Rod Stewart
Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
Superstition – Stevie Wonder